5 Tips for Effective References by Keyba Careers
As a young person looking for employment, references are a crucial aspect of the job application process.
A reference is a person who can vouch for your skills, experience, and character. Employers use references to determine whether a job candidate is a good fit for a particular role. They will ask questions to your referees and check that your responses in your interviews match up with your referee’s responses.
Here are 5 tips for effective references:
- Do not fake your references: This may seem obvious, but it is important to emphasise. Lying about your references is not only unethical, but it can also damage your reputation and future job prospects. A good interviewer will pick up if you have used a fake reference or have a mate do them for you. If you break the trust, this may jeopardise your job opportunity.
- Have 2-3 good references ready to go: It is a good idea to have a few strong references on hand before you start applying for jobs. These references should be people who know you well and can speak to your abilities and character. Having these references on hand will demonstrate that you are confident, organised, and ready for the job.
- Ask for character references if you have not had a previous job: If you are applying for your first job or have not had any work experience, consider asking a family friend, mentor, school teacher, or sports coach for a character reference. These individuals can speak to your personal qualities and work ethic. That just might be enough for your future employer.
- Ensure your referee knows the job you are applying for: It is important to let your referee know the details of the job you are applying for. This will help them tailor their reference to the specific role, highlight the skills and experience that are most relevant and give you a raving reference.
- Thank your referee and let them know of the outcome: Once you have secured a job, it is important to thank your referees for their help. Let them know the outcome of your application and how much you appreciate their support.
References are an essential part of the job application process. You would be surprised just how many people get this wrong by not preparing themselves in advance. By following these tips, you can ensure that your references are effective and will help you land your dream job.
If you’re looking to enhance your job-readiness skills, Keyba Careers offers a comprehensive online training program with industry-specific tips to help you excel and get ahead of your competitors who are also applying for the same job role.
For more information please contact Keyba Careers on 03 9325 5900 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org and one of our friendly staff will be happy to discuss your needs.