HELLO YOUTHLINKS! IN THIS NEWSLETTER YOU WILL A RANGE OF OPPORTUNITIES FOR YOUNG PEOPLE AND WORKERS THAT SUPPORT YOUNG PEOPLE.
Youthlinks has previously been sent as an email to our mailing list. NOW we will be sharing this resource live on our news page / blog!
In this newsletter you will find:
- Youth voice opportunities
- Events and opportunities
- Surveys and Research opportunities
Youth voice opportunities
- Brimbank Council is inviting local young people aged 12 to 25 to a consultation to have their say on Brimbank’s priorities for 2024-25. Register here to attend the session in Sunshine on Monday, 20 November. Register here. Flyer
- Brimbank Learning Futures is hosting Linked IRL is a new and exciting networking opportunity for young people seeking guidance and connection in employment and education. Come along to meet like-minded young people to build your professional and social networks. Happening on Wednesday 22 November, register here. Flyer
- Brimbank Youth Services‘ The Bold Source magazine is calling out for submissions to its Fourth Issue Solidarity: Social Justice in Action. The young editors are looking for written and visual works that explores what solidarity means and looks like to young people. Young people aged 10-25 can submit here by 3 December 2023. Flyer. Submission guidelines.
- The Bold Source is also calling out for artists to submit artwork for the Issue 4 cover! Artwork guidelines here.
Events and opportunities
- Headspace Sunshine, in partnership with Brimbank Youth Services is hosting Headspace Day 2023! On Friday 24 November, join young people for an afternoon of activities to support youth mental health. Register here. Flyer
- Brimbank Council is inviting members of the community to have their say in renamed Sydenham Park with a Traditional Custodian name. There are three names being considered. Consultations end 30 November, have your say here.
- Crime Stoppers Victoria (CSV), in collaboration with the Victorian Skateboarding Association (VSA) and the YMCA, is hosting a series of exciting Skate Jam sessions in Tarneit, Keilor Downs & Kensington. These sessions are open to skateboarders aged 12 to 24, offering a fantastic opportunity for skaters to showcase their skills and enjoy quality time on the ramps.
- Keilor Downs Skatepark
Friday 10 November, 4:00pm – 6:00pm
96 Taylors Rd, Keilor Downs VIC 3038
- Keilor Downs Skatepark
- Brimbank’s FReeZA is hosting an End of Year party for people aged 12 – 18 to unwind and kick-start their well-deserved school holidays.Enjoy a party with love DJ, karaoke, airbrush tattoos and more on Thrusday 14 December. Flyer.
- Albion Thunder, based at Selwyn Park in Albion, is looking to grow it’s women’s program for 2024. It will be a fun, friendly and casual team for all, even those who haven’t played before. It’s free and all are welcome – there will be a tournament beginning 28 October that they will take part in. Flyer
- Australian Muslim Women’s Centre for Human Rights will be running 1-hour information sessions on the importance of understanding affirmative consent and how it might differ within different cultures and communities. They’re looking for groups of around 8-10 young Muslim women (18 to 25 years) to participate in these sessions that will be safe space to discuss taboo topics with light refreshments and snacks to be provided. Flyer
- Melbourne City Mission will commence their outpost at The Youth Junction Inc. on Thursday 9th November in the Fishbowl. They will be based at the service weekly and will have workers rotating weekly through their restart, detour and reconnect programs. Learn more here.
- Family Access Network (FAN) is currently hiring Access Key Youth Consultants aged 16-25 who have lived experience with of disability, neurodiversity and/or mental ill health, to support us in the planning phase of creating an access key and social script for the office space. They will paid $500 per complete consult, for a time commitment of 10 hours. Apply by emailing AOng@fan.org.au by 5PM on 10 November. Flyer and Position description.
- St John Ambulance Victoria is currently offering FREE CPR classes to anyone who lives, works or has a connection to the 3021 postcode. This is because this postcode had the highest rate of out of hospital cardiac arrests. Classes are held at the Westvale Community Centre every Wednesday night 6:30PM-8:30PM. Book here.
- YDAS is providing FREE Together: Access & Inclusion Training for workers who want to become more confident & capable working with disabled young people! These free sessions are funded by the Department of Social Services and are the final free Together Trainings YDAS will be offering. Sessions are run online, and learn how to navigate the impact of assumptions, use language about disability and more. Register the coming up sessions:
- University of Melbourne is looking for young men aged 18-20 to take part in a 60-minute group interview of approximately 6 people on a study designed to identify what young men think about the way gender is represented in popular culture. The interviews will be held between 12 pm and 4 pm on Monday 20 November and Tuesday 21 November. Participants will receive a $40 Coles Myer gift card for their time. Flyer.
For more information about the above opportunities, please get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org